Tuesday, February 28, 2012

New Projects

So I work with a mission organization and the Lord sent my family down to a tropical island off the coast of Honduras to run a missionary hotel - read more in my last post : Best.Missionary.Update.Ever. But when we discovered that the hotel did not belong to the guy to whom we paid our rent... we decided to move on and see what else the Lord had for us here.

So now I am partnering with a ministry that I love: Made-In-Roatan.com Which has a non-profit store near the cruise ship port where artists display their handmade awesomeness and it has a sweet online store too  (check it out! right now... no worries. I will be here when you get back. Seriously, go. ... ok, welcome back) I volunteer there one day a week and get to help showcase the beautiful things made by these talented artists. All the artists are amazing. Though I am not as amazing as them, I do get the opportunity to display some of my art because it all goes toward school fees for island students.

The school system here is run by the Honduran government and is Spanish-speaking. Yet, since Roatan used to be a British colony, most students come from English-speaking families.  As you can imagine, this can make things difficult on the students, since they are learning in a second language.  Also, many people on Roatan do not have enough money to be able to afford the high cost of education. When putting food on the table is difficult, finding money for school tuition, books, uniforms and supplies can understandably take a back seat. A recent report shows that less 25% of school-aged children actually attend school. Only about half of those children ever complete the 6th grade.

All the proceeds from the sale of my artwork goes directly toward school fees and other needs for students here on Roatan.

Heres what I am currently working on:
Hand Painted Wooden Spoons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest